Friday, March 25, 2005

What do you make of this?

I would love to hear your comments and thoughts on this situation:

I heard on a radio news report today that Congress approved a proposal from the White House to sell F-16 fighter jets to, of all countries...PAKISTAN. The news originally was reported in mid-March by the US Air Force, in AIM Points.


I simply don't know what to make of this. I know all the reasons they've given: Pakistan being a "pivotal ally in the war on terror" among the chiefest. But there is something disquieting about it. Are my alarm bells clanging because I'm being overly paranoid about the Pakistanis (whom I believe are about as anti-terrorist as Saudi Arabia)? Some of the most anti-American rhetoric and cries for jihad are coming out of Pakistan. Bin Laden himself may be hanging out there. It's one thing to be diplomatic and maintain an alliance with Pakistan to glean whatever we can on al-Qaeda, and gain access to the country for covert ops. But it is quite another altogether to send them dozens of F-16s, one of our top weapons of war!

I don't know...my gut is telling me this cannot be a good thing. Honestly, when I heard the news on the radio today, my first thought was: " Greeaaat, now the terrorists won't need to hijack our commercial aircraft, they've got their own flying bombs, courtesy of the good old US of A."

Does this mean that I regard Pakistan in the same light as al-Qaeda? Well, let me put it this way: I do regard Pakistan as an Islamic nation, which in my book is dangerous enough, and I do categorize them with Saudi Arabia. Unlike the other Islamic nations, who do not disguise their hatred of America, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan claim to be our allies. Yet I believe that both finance and harbor terrorists for their own ends (whether as a deterrance, a bribe, or even a reward). Their alliance with us is the face of their diplomacy (and Arabs are historically superb statesmen), and I don't believe it goes ANY deeper than that. That is the sum total of their commitment to us - the thin facade of diplomacy. That makes them infinitely more dangerous to us than the other Islamic nations that openly hate our guts.

We know that al-Qaeda is in Pakistan, and that they have influence and protection among the people. That is why I consider our F-16s in the hands of Pakistanis as a serious threat.

I can only hope that our White House is not deceived...and that they are applying the old adage: "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer." Nevertheless, I believe we should do that without trying to PROVE anything to them by gifting them with best weapons of war! They have a lot more to prove to us than we do to them.

Let OUR diplomacy run as deep as theirs - at the surface, and in words only!!