Saturday, March 26, 2005

Gozar the Traveler: Investors Wanted

LOL I was browsing Richard's blog, and came across this written by a National Guardsman, Joey, stationed in Iraq. Very funny!


Gozar the Traveler: Investors Wanted

Here is a fun little fact for you. There is actually a shortage of usable sand and gravel here in Iraq. If a unit requests a big pile of sandbags it can take weeks before the order is filled, which seems a little strange. Last time I looked around I was in the middle of a freakin’ desert. Sand is one of the few things we have in abundance. I’d say there is too much of it, and frankly I’m sick of the stuff blowing all over the place and crudding up my equipment. Maybe the problem is that the people in charge fear that the local dirt isn’t of fine enough quality. Personally, I don’t mind the occasional rock or stick in the mix. As long as I can dump it in a sack and it stops bullets, it’s good enough for me. Before long there is going to be a black market in dirt around here. Soldiers are going to fill their pockets and smuggle it into camp each time they leave the wire. With a small shovel and a bucket I plan on cornering the market.

Richard thinks: "I'm guessing that somewhere over there is a military contractor that ships in Good Old American Sand(TM) for a pretty penny..."